Being a Blue Heron scholarship recipient is a commitment to oneself, to one’s mentor and to society. It is a joint effort between the foundation and recipients that is meant to help them become independent, successful and responsible.
HOW WE FIND OUR STUDENTS:
We work closely with the Ministry of Labor, Family and Social Protection, which sends an annual Blue Heron scholarship announcement to every Child Protection office in the 40 regions of Romania. Theoretically, every young adult who is in the care of the state can learn about our program and apply. Blue Heron is able to accept about half of all applicants based on available funds.
WHO CAN APPLY:
- the applicants must be either orphaned or abandoned in the care of the State (Social Assistance and Child Protection Directorate –DGASPC-) or a non-governmental organization (NGO) and have been accepted to attend a Romanian university. In VERY rare cases, we consider youngsters in dire conditions who still live with one parent.
- they are not beneficiaries of any other scholarships or substantial sources of income.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
A team of Blue Heron evaluators carefully studies all applications and awards scholarships based on several criteria:
- the degree of hardship applicants have faced and the significance of the obstacles they have had to overcome.
- a demonstrated love of learning and acceptable academic achievement during their high school years.
- recommendations from teachers, social workers/psychologists an/or other responsible adults who know the applicants well.
- a willingness to participate fully in all aspects of the Blue Heron Scholarship program and are not just looking for financial aid.